Keep visitors engaged with recirculation
Get the most out of your evergreen content
What is recirculation?
Today, more people access digital news from social media (28%) than from news sites and apps directly (23%).
Surfacing relevant articles is one way to encourage your audience to come to your news site and stay longer.
Recommending relevant articles helps your audiences find the news that matters most, and prevents them from feeling overwhelmed by the number of articles.
Recirculation helps you:
- Get more value out of existing content
- Create a quality user experience by highlighting your best content
- Encourage audiences to return by showing what’s relevant to them
How does evergreen content affect recirculation?
Evergreen stories are ideal for recirculation because they are not as time-sensitive as breaking news or current events.
Why evergreen content?
- Provides information, facts, and data that won’t change quickly
- Is often searched for, because it continues to stay relevant
- Drives traffic without requiring as many resources
What are the types of evergreen content?
- A “how to” guide or explainer
- A list, like “3 types of ad revenue”
- Tips and tricks
💡Best practice: Get the best of both evergreen and news stories by refreshing stories during times of year when they’re more relevant.
See how you compare to other publishers with News Consumer Insights
News Consumer Insights analyzes your Google Analytics data to help you grow pages per visit.
Connect your Google Analytics to News Consumer Insights.
Navigate to Reader Engagement and scroll down to Pages Read per Visit and Visit Length.
Click View Recommendation on the left to see how your audiences’ visits compare to industry averages.
Discover the best stories for recirculation with Realtime Content Insights
Realtime Content Insights analyzes your Google Analytics data to help you discover:
- Your best stories, in real-time and historically
- The stories your most engaged audiences read
- What people are searching for near you on Google and Youtube
Navigate to Historic Performance
Scroll down to Top Articles by Key Data Metrics
Click Recirculation to view the top 5 articles that drive the most recirculation to other articles on your site.
You can also see your overall recirculation rate in Today’s Performance Dashboard under Recirculation.
Make your recommended articles section easy to read
- Recommend five stories or fewer
- Include an image with every article
- Place images on the left, and stories on the right
- Compress images
- Rank your articles
Recommend articles across your site
- Place your articles above external links
- Add a recommended articles section after each article
- Anchor a recommended articles section on the right
- Add a recommended article with a related image to every article